March 29, 2011

Springtime Tallahassee is almost here!

I cannot believe that the race is less than a week away!

I've been continuing my training and trying not to do anything too strenuous this week.  Yesterday I took a zumba class and today I did 4.2 miles in 57:50. Tomorrow I will go back to Zumba, do a light speed jog on Thursday, and take Friday off before the race Saturday morning.

On a sad note, my iPod died last week.  Moment of silence, can someone cue Taps?  Oh, we can't play Taps because my iPod is dead?  Bummer.

I've since gone jogging twice without it and while it certainly is doable I'd rather have my music as a distraction and to push my pace.  Without the music I can hear too much.  I can hear each footstep, each breath, everyone's conversation around me, etc.  I just want to zone out when I jog, switch my body to autopilot and relax.  Without my iPod jogging becomes much more of a mental challenge and while I can appreciate it I'd rather not absolutely have to do it on Saturday morning.  I've ordered a new one on Amazon but and it should get here on Thursday, fingers crossed.

The plan for the rest of the week is to maintain my fitness but not to push myself to create fitness.  So I'm still doing my Whittle My Middle challenge but not going to add squats or make my run on Thursday insane.  Again, the idea is to maintain fitness this week, not to work on increasing it.  All of the work I could do to increase my fitness is done (at least for this race). 

On Friday my plan is to do some light walking with Jackson, my dog, and then eat a pasta dinner (nothing crazy, still in my 400 calorie budget) and focus on hydrating in the evening.  For both Thursday and Friday night I am going to try and go to bed early, at least by 10. 

I want to end this post with a clip from a movie that I love, The Spirit of the Marathon.  It came out in 2007 and is available on Netflix Instant View.  I've watched it twice and both times it makes me cry, watching these people work so hard to achieve something so momentous.  The film follows runners as they train for the Chicago Marathon.  Some of them have run dozens of these races before, for others it is their first race. 

No comments: