March 16, 2011

Abandon Ship



This week I took a break from running.  I had some other school stuff that needed to get finished (I'd just be greatful if I could just start some of these things!) and just wasn't feeling it.  I even went out to jog on Sunday and felt so disconnected from the run that I left after one measly lap.  I do that sometimes at Zumba classes too.  I like to exercise, it supposed to be fun and relaxing.  I don't get paid to work out so sometimes when it feels like troublesome, unfun work I abandon ship early.

This, friends, is not quitting.  It is, instead, knowing myself rather well.

You see, I don't ever want to stay on the track, in a yoga class, or at a Zumba workout resenting it for 50 minutes and spending the whole time wishing that I was somewhere else.  I've learned that, for me, it makes me reluctant to come back to working out later if I leave the exercise with a bitter taste in my mouth.  Meaning that if I push myself through a Zumba class on a Monday and hate it for the duration of the class then I am very likely to skip Wednesday and Friday's workout.  I like hard workouts- challenging workouts- but that is not the same as thinking to myself through a series of sun salutations that I'd throw a rock at the instructor if it only meant that the class was over that much sooner.

Yes, I know there is such a thing as attitude.  I also know that there are lots of things in life that I cannot just walk away from but a 50 minute workout session?  Yes, in fact I can walk away from it. 

Do you ever do this or do you make youself finish the workout?

No comments: