March 1, 2012

30 Day Challenge

Overeating does not make me happy.
Overeating does not make me happy.

Overeating does not make me happy.

I have a thirty year career as a binge eater.  I remember the first lie I ever told to my parents (that I remember) had something to do with eating my sister or someone else’s candy bar. 

I always find it difficult to articulate the feelings of shame, humiliation, anger, frustration, and disappointment that I associate with these episodes in my life. 

Shame and humiliation: “How did I do this again?  Didn’t I learn anything from last time?”

Anger and frustration: “I’ll never reach my goals if I keep doing this.  This is self-sabotage.”

Disappointment: “All that work and I undo it so quickly.  What’s wrong with me?  Why can’t I control myself?”

Well, I’m trying really hard to give up this destructive habit for 30 days.  March 1-30.  Not for Lent, not for anyone else, but for my own sanity.  Tomorrow is my last PhD exam.  I’ve definitely been eating to compensate for the stress and also, it’s my pattern to eat a lot while I’m working on big projects.  Also there was a lot of eating at EPCOT but the race celebrating is over now. 

But I hate it and I like myself less when I do it. 

So I am challenging myself to a 30 Days of Paleo. 

What’s this?  I’ve been doing Paleo since January, so why this challenge?  Well, I’ve gone off Paleo every now and again, for parties or events, for emotional eating, or sometimes for convenience. 

How would I feel if I really did Paleo for 30 days uninterrupted?  When I’m following Paleo I feel amazing.  I feel fast and strong. 

Can I do this?  Honestly, I’m not sure.  I think I’m going to have to define some rules that may make it easier as well as mini-goal rewards.

First, on the 24th I’m hosting a bridal shower brunch.  I plan on going off Paleo for that brunch.  Not for the day, just for the morning.

Next week I’m going back to Disney.  How will I handle that?  I don’t know yet.

So, to encourage me to try harder I have some mini goals:

If I make it to Sunday I get a new bag of socks.

If I make it to the 8th (over a week) I get a new pair of exercise capris from Walmart.

If I make it to the 15th I get two new exercise shirts

If I successfully make it through a party on the 17th then I get a manicure/pedicure that I already have a Groupon for.

If I make it through to the 25th I get new compression socks.

If I make it to the 30th I get to enjoy the entire 31st (the day of the Warrior Dash) with a strong race and all of the festivities afterwards including beer and anything else.
*I made it through day 1.

No comments: