September 19, 2011

What do you do when.....



Last night I was at Bible Study and a person, who doesn't know me very well and is several years younger than me, made a comment that was hurtful.

I was talking with a friend about how I had made my reservations for the Disney Princess Half Marathon and this other person, who was involved in the conversation said

"You know there's a time limit right?"

Ouch.

This one comment was pretty deflating.  In one sentence she implied that I would be slow as to embarass myself or to not finish at all.

She also implied that I knew nothing about this race or race-culture, for that matter.

Again, it burned.

Again, I knew she wasn't trying to hurt me.  But still, it was the kind of doubt that I regularly faced when I told people that I was running the Springtime Tallahassee 10K and again when I was going to climb Le Conte.  They looked at my body and presumed I could not do it; presumed I was setting myself up for failure and then they pitied me.

It's the kind of thing that is a binary of criticism that is completely devasting but on the other hand it makes me so angry and wanting to prove her and others wrong.  They look at me and believe I can't do it.

But I can.

6 comments:

Cheree Moore said...

You can totally do this race and any other that you set your mind to. Don't let callous remarks stop you from attaining your goals!

Annie said...

psssh... you just tune those words out, elizabeth! most of us are too lazy to even get off our bums and do ANYTHING, but less a race that requires training and persistence and hope and effort. i'm learning every day that we have to be careful just who and what we listen to. listen to all of those who encourage and are proud of you instead. you CAN do this -- and you will. just like you've done everything else.

Elizabeth Dean said...

Cheree and Annie, thanks for your sweet words. I sincerely appreciate the support. I dont think the girl meant to cut me down in such a direct way but gosh it hurt.

I'm glad I have friends like the two of you to encourage me.

Meghan said...

You work harder and push yourself further than most people I know. When's the race? Maybe I'll join you.

Elizabeth Dean said...

Meghan, the race is in February. It is a half-marathon (13.1 miles). It is the Disney Princess Half and it is going to be tons and tons of fun. People dress up and there's all these awesome picture opportunities. Also, Jenn and I are going to Disney the day before for the afternoon.

Sabrina said...

Oh how our quickly spoken words can hurt others. You just keep on going Elizabeth (this comment is so late...but I still wanted to post it). As you said so simply at the end of the post...YOU CAN!!!!